Thursday, July 14, 2011

Beware-- This Exchange Rate Is Racist

99 Great Russell St., the home of FSU's
Study Abroad Program in London

Perhaps I was a little too optimistic about my forthcoming trip; I had incredibly high expectations about the plane ride, my living quarters, my teacher, the people I’d meet, the food I’d eat. And though I have been in the U.K. for less than 24 hours, I can honestly say that my ridiculous expectations have been met in all but one thing… but I’ll get to that later.

The plane ride was long, but that’s only to be expected. And though I failed to get any sleep, my excitement kept me alert while taking the Heathrow Connect from the airport to Paddington Station, and then hailing a taxi to FSU’s Study Center, a mere block away from the British Museum. Yes that’s right, the British Museum is less than five minutes away. And its free. So I can go, whenever I want. Okay, I’ll stop gloating ;)

At the Study Center, I met the other people in my program. This was followed by a quick break to our dorms (three blocks away on Bedford Street), and then a walking tour of the area. I am positively exhausted, but on the other hand I can’t help but be excited. Everyone in my program is so nice, my roommates are awesome, London is amazing, etc., etc., etc.!

What I really want to be doing, right now
My one tiny complaint lies in the currency. Though you tempt me with your colorfulness, you, British pound, are pure evil. Why must you be worth so much more than my trusty friend, the dollar? Not even worth more, but almost worth double! It’s not fair that I exchange $200 for a measly 106 pounds. I am thisclose to throwing a tantrum.

But, alas, I’m just too tired to do much of anything right now. I think its time I join Pigeon, and go to sleep. Hopefully by tomorrow’s post, I will no longer be jetlagged.


No comments:

Post a Comment